Tuesday 21 May 2013

Come Play with Materialistic Things.



Dior

I found that, since my late teens at least, I have become obsessed with materialism and all things sparkly and chic. I guess I could blame this on my old flatmate for introducing me to Sex and the City, aged 17. 

From there I decided that I wanted to become Carrie and move to New York and become awesome in whatever it was that I decided to pursue. It even got so bad that I would end relationships over extremely silly things as I yearned for the 'single girl' lifestyle, which in real life never came to fruition. I would just end up jumping into a new relationship within a few months and the cycle would continue. 

I always wanted to be the independent woman who went out for lunch every day and could sustain a luxurious lifestyle with very little effort and hard work. It's funny though because despite the fact that I wanted to live the idolised 'single, independent, glamorous' lifestyle depicted in the TV show; with mountains of designers, the latest one being more fabulous than the last, I never realised that, for 3 of the main characters at least, all they ever wanted deep down was to find 'true love'. 

I never understood really why the characters were never truly fulfilled despite their success and beautiful outfits and trinkets. It is only later that I realised that all these things are a show for the lack of personal achievement in their lives. It's what you wear that is important, not what you do.

After thinking about this I was in a little musical mood and wrote a song about it, it depicts the lack of emotional empathy with the way in which we obtain these items which give us a so-called pillar to stand on and therefore be the envy of our peers. 

It's written ironically just in case it upsets anyone. It's called Diamonds.

I see my reflection
In the Dior window
All I can see, is envy in me
Of who I would like to be.

Success it costs nothing
Except hard work and graft
But what is the use, any work I refuse
All I want are Jimmy Choos.

I want all things sparkling
I need all things glimmering
Beautiful diamond rings
These are my everything.

People die for these stones
This ensures their worth
I should feel bad, but I’m kind of glad
They’re the best love I’ve ever had.

Labels, designers
Sweatshops rule the land
But I do not care, just that they take care,
When sewing my brand new bag

I want all things sparkling,
I need all things glimmering
Beautiful diamond rings
These are my everything.

Ignorance is bliss,
Move out the homeless
Living in bubbleland
Where everything is grand

There is no poverty
All these things might as well be free
Cheating my way, into the next day
With nothing ever worrying me

I want all things sparkling,
I need all things glimmering
Beautiful diamond rings
These are my everything.

These are my everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment